1. When using Cetol finishes, why is it always recommended to perform a test with the number of coats required on a sample of the wood?
The final colour may vary on each wood species.
The final colour and its opacity may vary with application.
2. In which conditions can mildew grow on wood or the surface of a coating?
When the following conditions are present:
80% relative humidity.
21°C / 70°F or above.
21% moisture content of the wood.
3. What can prevent a coating from penetrating into wood?
It can be caused by mill glaze (planer crush).
4. How long can I wait (maximum) before applying a wood finish on a vertical surface (siding) once the preparation has been done?
5. What should I do to remove oil and resins on the surface of hardwoods such as Ipe or Teak?
Wipe with lacquer thinner or acetone.
6. Why is it important to have a microporous or breathable coating?
Because moisture can escape out the wood as vapour.
7. Which Cetol system will provide the best UV protection on siding?
One coat of Cetol 1 and two coats of Cetol 23 Plus or two coats of Cetol Log & Siding.
8. If a film-building product with a rich, translucent look is desired on fences or garden furniture, which system should be used?
Three coats of Cetol 1.
9. How often is a maintenance coat required for southern exposed siding coated with either the Cetol Log & Siding or Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 Plus systems?
2 – 3 years.
10. What is the best system for doors and windows, especially where they receive southern UV exposure?
Three coats of Cetol Door & Window.
11. Over which products Cetol Maintenance may be applied?
Over existing Cetol Log & Siding or Cetol 23 Plus coatings.
12. Which Cetol translucent product can be used on both siding and decking surfaces?
13. Why all of the Cetol products provide superior protection for wood?
Because they are made with:
Iron oxide pigments for UV protection.
High quality resin giving excellent durability.
Resin providing excellent microporosity (breathability).
14. Which system should be used when a film-building, translucent system is desired on a deck?
Two coats of Cetol DEK Finish.
15. What are the rules to follow when using the Cetol DEK Finish system on a deck?
The deck surface should have 2 feet (0,6 metre) or more clearance from the ground.
The wood must be coated on all six sides.
Preparation must include mechanical sanding with 60 to 80 grit sandpaper.
16. Why Rubbol Siding Finish (a solid) provides excellent durability, flexibility, and colour retention?
It is due to:
High linseed oil content.
Hybrid alkyd / acrylic technology.
17. Do I have to put a top coat over Cetol Log Décor?
No, it is a stain and vanish (2 in 1) product.
18. Why should I use Cetol UV Interior for light coloured wood?
Because it was developed to minimize the yellowing of the wood and maintain a natural wood appearance of light coloured wood.
19. Can I apply Rubbol Solid DEK over a previously coated decks?
Yes, it can also be applied over:
Most composite decking materials.
Unprimed pressure-treated decks.
20. Which varnish could be applied over interior doors stained with Cetol Interior Stain?
Cetol BL varnish.